A Message from GUMC
Returning to On Site Worship and Activities at
Germantown United Methodist Church
A Report from the Implementation Task Force
As Germantown UMC returns to on site worship and other activities, please note the following conditions that are in place:
1. We will follow John Wesley’s three-part rule:
“Do no harm. Do good. Stay in love with God."
2. We encourage and advise all persons in any at-risk category, including older adults, to remain safe at home, to not come onto campus. The church website’s first page provides:
Symptoms of the virus
Factors that may increase the severity/seriousness of an infection
Steps to protect yourself from the virus
We cannot claim that these are inclusive of all the information that one needs in these times.We urge everyone to err on the side of caution.
3. We will adjust as circumstances require.Changes will be posted on the Church website, be available by calling the Hamilton Welcome Center at 754.7216 during regular business hours and listed in each Sunday’s Ministry News and Events.
4. Please follow all signage directions for the health and safety of everyone on campus, especially in using hand sanitizer and wearing a mask when in any building.
5. Masks are always required when one is in any GUMC Building. Anyone who does not have a mask will be given one to wear while in any GUMC building. Masks and hand sanitizer are available at the three major entrances to the main campus, mentioned above along with posters giving instructions on safety protocols. TAKE YOUR MASK AWAY WITH YOU.
6. Please follow these instructions to enter the main GUMC building:
Weekdays – please enter only through the Hamilton Welcome Center (West Street Entrance)
For Worship on Saturday night and Sunday morning – the doors will be open at the Welcome Center, and the Northeast & Education Wing entrances (Germantown Road). Worship times have changed. See days and times listed below under “Worship”.
7. Social distancing of six-feet spaces will be indicated and directed.
8. Please use a sanitizing wipe from the bucket provided on the rail If using the stairway or the elevator and to press the elevator buttons.Discard the wipe in the provided trash can.
9. For the elevators, only one person (plus caregiver, if required) or one family will be allowed in the elevator at a time.
On site worship at GUMC resumes June 13 and 14. Each service will be live
streamed through the Church website or YouTube and will be recorded for viewing on the Church website at alternate times.
All services will be in the sanctuary. The main floor and balcony will be open.
Overflow seating will be in the Mike Wilson Fellowship Hall and the OLEC gym.
Phased returns indicate that initially we might be able to have no more than:
72 worshippers in the sanctuary (floor and balcony together)
25 in the Mike Wilson Fellowship Hall
80 in the OLEC gym.
Please make your plans accordingly and consider sitting in the balcony or Fellowship Hall if you don’t want to be seen entering late.
Entrance to the Sanctuary will ONLY be through the doors in the East side Hallway near the “front” of the sanctuary.
Worshippers will enter through the double doors and walk to the back of the sanctuary using the center aisle to take their seats as directed by the ushers. Please maintain social distance as you wait to enter.
Seating will be on every other pew only. Six-foot spaces will be marked on each pew to help individual worshippers be safe.
Family units or people who have quarantined together may sit together.
At the end of each service, worshippers will be directed to EXIT ONLY through the Narthex doors, one pew at a time.
Nothing will be passed among worshippers. Bulletins will be in the pew racks before each service. Please take your bulletin when you leave. Bulletins remaining in the pews after service will be removed.
Individual attendance cards will be in the pews before each service. Cards remaining in the pews after service will be removed. Please place your filled in attendance card in the Offering plate in the Narthex as you leave.
The Children’s Ministry will provide “Worship Activity Bags” on the side table as you enter any worship space. Please take one per child as you enter the sanctuary. Please take the bag and contents home with you after service.
Offerings always may be made online through GUMC’s regular online facilities.
Offerings may also be placed in offering plates on tables in the Narthex.
Please visit our Sunday's Sermon, Scripture, and Music page for Sunday School lessons and locations.
Bible study and other groups may request meeting space in a GUMC building after June 14.
All participants must always wear masks inside. Please bring your own mask. A mask will be given to everyone who does not have one when they arrive
Seating will be in designated spaces at least six feet apart.
Each meeting space will be sanitized and allowed to rest between uses.
Outside activities, including the Pavilion, Trinity Center, and McVay Gardens may be scheduled after June 14. Social distancing will be maintained.
OWINGS LIFE ENRICHMENT CENTER (OLEC)
As of this time, the OLEC re-opening will follow in class Sunday school gatherings. This is due to safety concerns and personnel constraints. If other options can be developed for limited use earlier, that news will be communicated to the congregation in all the ways we have possible.
GUMC regularly sends emails to its members containing general and/or ministry specific information. You may select the type of email(s) you wish to receive (Congregational Concerns, Youth, Choir, Older Adults, etc.). If you are not receiving emails at this time and would like to begin receiving them, please contact Ms. Leanne Bailey at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate the type of email(s) you wish to begin receiving and you will be added to the list.