Germantown United Methodist Church has the following open job positions:
- Director of Youth Ministries
- General Maintenance Worker
For more details about these opportunities, please call the church office at 901.754.7216 and ask to speak with Scott Alford.
We have a great staff at GUMC. We hope that you’ll consider joining our team!
Director of Youth Ministries
The Director of Youth Ministries oversees all aspects of the youth ministry program for GUMC, which includes events and activities each week. Works collaboratively with clergy, staff and volunteers to build a safe, supportive, inspiring environment and a continuity of programming that supports the spiritual growth of students. Has primary responsibilities for high school and college age levels and leads the Associate Director who has primary responsibility for middle school and confirmation. Teamwork and partnership between the two are expected.
While not exhaustive, a few main duties are as follows:
• Coordinates, promotes, and manages all aspects of the program, including, but not limited to, Sunday School, summer camps, mission trips, events, and retreats.
• Strategically plans and sets goals for high school and college age ministry in conjunction with the Youth Advisory Council and clergy.
• Develops and oversees the youth ministry budget.
• Ensures adherence to GUMC’s Safe Sanctuary policy.
• Attends Senior Leadership Team meetings.
• Oversees the planning, coordination, and set-up of the education and missional activities, including but not limited to, Crave, Discovery, SOS, MTOP, BigStuf, Manna House, MAM, and any others which may include moving tables, hanging decorations, carrying and/or lifting materials, walking or participating in other physical activities.
• Selects, evaluates, creates, and monitors overall curriculum, teaching and leading studies and sessions, using other participants as needed.
• Responsible for all communication of high school and college age matters to parents, youth, staff, and volunteers.
• Recruits and connects volunteers.
• Organizes training and planning sessions for youth ministry related matters.
• Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent), with experience in teaching/managing in age level Christian Education or High School education.
• Experience in a leadership role strongly preferred.
• Experience in the design and selection of age-appropriate curriculum.
• Experience in a multi-age group environment preferred.
• Experience in planning, coordinating all logistics for and managing special events.
• Experience in the recruiting, training, leading, inspiring, and encouraging of volunteers.
• Understanding of and alignment with United Methodist theology and beliefs.
• Computer proficiency, including Microsoft Office, social media, Constant Contact, and presentation software.
• Solid time management skills and organizational abilities; ability to coordinate several activities at once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems.
General Maintenance Worker
The General Maintenance Worker will perform general maintenance and repairs for assigned equipment and facilities including plumbing, electrical, basic carpentry, heating and cooling, and other building systems.
• Inspects and identifies equipment or machines in need of repair.
• Troubleshoots issues to determine necessary repairs.
• Performs general repairs that do not require a specialized technician. Examples may include repairing drywall, painting, and repairing doors and other building fixtures.
• Performs routine maintenance on building systems.
• Cleans and assists with upkeep of the facilities.
• Mows lawns, trims weeds, and rakes leaves as assigned.
• Trims bushes, shrubs, and hedges.
• Plants, cuts, and removes trees as needed.
• Applies fertilizer, pesticides, and herbicides as directed.
• Completes snow removal tasks such as shoveling sidewalks, steps, and doorways as needed during winter months.
• Performs routine maintenance on power equipment.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Ability to follow instructions from supervisors or senior maintenance workers.
• Ability to operate landscaping equipment including lawnmowers, trimmers, blowers, etc.
• Knowledge of general carpentry and repair.
• Ability to use hand tools and power tools.
• Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or equivalent required.
• Related experience preferred.
• On-the-job training offered.
• Prolonged periods standing and walking.
• Must be physically able to climb ladders, bend, or crawl into awkward spaces.
• Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time.