Germantown United Methodist Church has the following open positions:
- Director of Children’s Ministry- Elementary – NEW!
- Administrative Assistant
- Landscaper/Building Maintenance
We have a great staff at GUMC. We hope that you’ll consider joining.
Germantown United Methodist Church: Director of Children’s Ministry- Elementary
The Children’s Ministry Directors of Germantown United Methodist Church oversee all aspects of Children’s Ministry for GUMC which includes events and activities serving approximately 150 children ages 0 – 5th grade each week. The Children’s Ministry Director – Elementary oversees a weekly volunteer staff of 10. The Children’s Ministry Director works collaboratively with Clergy, Staff and Lay Committees to build a safe, supportive, inspiring environment and a continuity of programming that supports the spiritual growth of children at GUMC.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Coordinate, promote, and manage all aspects of the Children’s Ministry of GUMC, including, but not limited to nursery, Sunday School, Summer VBS, and other special programs and events.
- Lead, manage and supervise all Children’s Ministry staff and volunteers.
- Strategically plan and set goals for the Children’s Ministry of GUMC in conjunction with the Children’s Council and clergy.
- Develop and oversee the budget for Children’s Ministry.
- Continually re-evaluate the needs of our children and their families to determine and implement new and innovative age-appropriate activities.
- Ensure adherence to GUMC’s Safe Sanctuary Policy.
- Promote Children’s Ministry and share the vision for Children’s Ministry within the church.
- Meet regularly with the Associate Pastor having oversight of Children’s Ministry.
- Attend Senior Leadership Team meetings.
- Program Management
- Oversee GUMC’s Sunday School program for children in Kindergarten through fifth grade, including programming, curriculum, supplies, facilities, volunteers, and Safe Sanctuary compliance.
- Plan and oversee Wednesday evening program for children.
- Oversee the planning and coordination and set-up of the Vacation Bible School program and other special events such as Third Grade Bible Retreat, Fall Festival, Advent Workshop, Journey to Bethlehem, and Easter Egg Hunt, which may include moving tables, hanging decorations, carrying and/or lifting materials, walking or participating in other physical activities.
- Plan mission events and opportunities for children and families.
- Select, evaluate, create, and monitor overall curriculum.
- Ensure the appropriate scheduling and supervision all teachers and volunteers.
- Ensure the availability of adequate supplies for Children’s Ministry programs and activities.
- Teach/lead sessions and provide direct supervision and care to children in the program as needed.
- Responsible for all communication of children’s programs, events, and responsibilities to parents, children, staff, and volunteers.
- Communicate the vision and purpose of the Children‘s Ministry to the church family.
- Volunteer Recruitment
- Recruit and connect volunteers to areas of Children’s Ministry that fit their individual passion and giftedness.
- Organize training and planning sessions for Children’s Ministry employees and volunteers.
- Effectively liaise and leverage Children’s Council and other lay advisory groups.
- Other Duties as Assigned
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s Degree (or equivalent), preferably in Childhood Education or Child Development, plus a minimum of 3 years’ experience teaching/managing in organized Children’s Christian Education, Elementary Education, or Child Care. Experience in a leadership role strongly preferred.
- Experience in the design and selection of age-appropriate curriculum.
- Experience in a multi-age group environment preferred.
- Experience in planning, coordinating all logistics for and managing special events.
- Experience in the recruiting, training, leading, inspiring, and encouraging of volunteers.
Competencies, Working Skills and Attributes
- Ongoing commitment to Jesus Christ.
- Understanding of and alignment with United Methodist theology and beliefs.
- Passion for congregational ministry with particular strength in working with children, families, and volunteers.
- Proven ability to inspire children in both large and small groups.
- Must be an encourager to parents with children 0 years – 5th grade.
- Possess knowledge of child development, including children with special needs.
- Possess an understanding of a child’s faith development process.
- Emotional and spiritual maturity.
- Solid time management skills and organizational abilities; ability to coordinate several activities at once and to quickly analyze and resolve specific problems.
- Computer proficiency: Microsoft Office, Constant Contact, Social Media.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from parents, staff, and congregation.
- Proven ability to communicate and establish effective working relationships with people, conveying a genuine concern for their needs and a desire to provide exceptional service.
- Able to work efficiently and effectively in team situations and to build strong teams.
- Should be detail oriented, flexible, and decisive with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and adapt to a variety of changing events, schedules, and priorities.
- Self-motivated and enthusiastic team player.
- Basic health and fitness level required: Must have the ability to lift 40 pounds, move quickly to keep pace with toddlers, remain alert and energetic for 8 hours or more.
This is a fulltime exempt professional position. For full-time program staff of GUMC, Sunday is a work day, with Saturday and one additional week day (day is negotiable) being days off. Wednesday night work is expected.
This position reports to the Lead Associate Pastor.
Germantown United Methodist Church has a position available for an Administrative Assistant for a specified ministry area.
This is a full-time position. Hours are M-F 8:30-4:30.
Requirements include competency with Word, Excel, Publisher or an equivalent, ability to create and maintain computer-based forms and records, ability, or ability to learn how to maintain and modify ministry web sites, ability to communicate readily in English, appropriate telephone presence.
Pay and benefits are competitive with ability and experience.
To apply, contact Brad Gabriel, Executive Minister, firstname.lastname@example.org
Administrative Assistant: (part time)
Duties include: Welcome Center: Provide a warm and friendly presence to greet visitors, provide first contact general information and directions, direct inquires and related duties. Create weekly worship bulletins, monthly newsletters, occasional flyers, and program brochures for GUMC.
Skill Requirements: Desire to see God’s reign extend into every aspect of church activity. Telephone Etiquette. Proficiency in Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Outlook) Ability to understand and follow written and oral instructions.
To apply, contact Brad Gabriel, Executive Minister, email@example.com
The General Maintenance Worker will perform general maintenance and repairs for assigned equipment and facilities including plumbing, electrical, basic carpentry, heating and cooling, and other building systems.
* Inspects and identifies equipment or machines in need of repair.
* Troubleshoots issues to determine necessary repairs.
* Performs general repairs that do not require a specialized technician. Examples may include repairing drywall, painting, and repairing doors and other building fixtures.
* Performs routine maintenance on building systems.
* Cleans and assists with upkeep of the facilities.
* Mows lawns, trims weeds, and rakes leaves as assigned.
* Trims bushes, shrubs, and hedges.
* Plants, cuts, and removes trees as needed.
* Applies fertilizer, pesticides, and herbicides as directed.
* Completes snow removal tasks such as shoveling sidewalks, steps, and doorways as needed during winter months.
* Performs routine maintenance on power equipment.
* Performs other related duties as assigned.
* Ability to follow instructions from supervisors or senior maintenance workers.
* Ability to operate landscaping equipment including lawnmowers, trimmers, blowers, etc.
* Knowledge of general carpentry and repair.
* Ability to use hand tools and power tools.
* Excellent organizational and time management skills.
Education and Experience:
* High school diploma or equivalent required.
* Related experience preferred.
* On-the-job training offered.
* Prolonged periods standing and walking.
* Must be physically able to climb ladders, bend, or crawl into awkward spaces.
* Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds at a time